Saturday, March 6, 2010

John Irving

Day 25 of the "What are you reading, and why?" project.

Phyllis reports: "I have just finished John Irving's book: Last Night in Twisted River. I am in love with this book, and a number of its characters. I have read The World According to Garp, which I liked. I think I must check out Cider House Rules. But Twisted River will remain with me forever. A wonderful read."

(Rebecca was reading this one, too!)

What is it about John Irving books?! This has happened to so many people I know. They have read one, and that leads them to another, and they find a favorite, and that becomes a favorite for all times, among all authors, for them. Irving takes us on a wild ride.

I remember the roller coaster of The World According to Garp, how it made me laugh out loud, how shocked tears sprang to my eyes when bad things happened to characters I loved, how he could let terrible things happen to people in the book as in the world, but also defend them and do something to protect them and write bitterly against the ones doing the harm, all while still making me laugh.

A Prayer for Owen Meany, which I've mentioned here that I finally read recently, took me back through history I'd lived without knowing it was history...and through a fictional experience that is now like life lived. I met people I care about, admire, and am sorry to have lost.

Phyllis, I think you'd like Cider House Rules, yes, and also Owen Meany. Brace yourself for the ride.

Readers, do you have a favorite Irving book? And can you tell us why--without giving too much away?!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Owen Meany! The interweaving of the stories of the characters leading up to the final and cleverly foreshadowed but not given away scene. I loved the characters dearly with all their flaws and quirks. Read this book!

Mike Peterson said...

Kathleen: My favourite Irving book is "The Cider House Rules" because of the courage and the sadness.