Monday, November 29, 2010

Drew Clue

Still Day 294, but, despite the note-to-self I wrote this morning, I forgot this bit of vintage young adult serial fiction and related cool poetry chapbook!  And that's why I call myself clueless.

I did read some Nancy Drew books, with pictorial boards, growing up, and my brother read the Hardy Boys books.  Here's one of the websites that will show you the various versions (inside and out) of the Nancy Drew books, by various writers but all called Carolyn Keene, and here's one that lists the books and also gathers the various websites dedicated to Nancy Drew.

But I also wanted to direct you to this Fiddler Crab review of a poetry chapbook that starts off with Nancy Drew but goes where it needs to go in exploring some unsolvable mysteries of life.  The book is Investigations: The Mystery of the Girl Sleuth, by Kathleen Aguero, who must be a poet sleuth.  Wonderful review by Mary Ellen Geer.

7 comments:

Kathleen said...

And today, November 30, it's the birthday of L. M. Montgomery, of the Anne of Green Gables books! Thank you, Writer's Almanac!

Nancy Devine said...

hard to believe that i've never read a nancy drew book. i think i look at the chapbook you mention instead.

Kathleen said...

Yes, Nancy, the chapbook looks wonderful. And you can tell from the review that the poems tell their own story, not requiring having read the books. But probably enhanced by that reading....

Shana said...

Nancy Drew was a childhood favorite, but I had to read Anne of Green Gables when I was pregnant and knew I was having a daughter. I read the series aloud to my pregnant belly. Your blog brings back such good memories of the books in my life.

Kathleen said...

Shana, I love the thought of you reading to your pregnant belly!!

Kristin Berkey-Abbott said...

I'm late to this thread because it took me awhile to find the poem that your posting reminded me of: http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/programs/2007/02/19/#monday

I tried posting it, but the line breaks didn't translate, so I'll just leave the link, even though you might have to cut and paste.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Kristin! Yes, I can, and blog readers can copy and paste your URL to find the poem. Yay!