Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Confrontation, Transformation

Day 302 of the "What are you reading, and why?" project, and subscribers and contributors to Confrontation are reading the Fall 2010 issue because it just arrived in the mail. (And I've got 2 poems in it!  Yay!) The theme  of this issue is Transformation, and that's Daphne on the cover, transforming into a tree to escape Apollo, who's chasing her.

(Cover used by permission of Terry Kattleman, publicity director.)

Confrontation has been around since 1968, publishing many writers early in their careers whose names you know now! Their mission is eclecticism, as they say here on their homepage.

You can also visit them at Facebook, where 3 poems from the current issue are posted for discussion.  (One of them is mine!  The harmonica poem, not the icky poem, which stays in the print version, please.  It's really icky.  But, hey, so is the voodoo lily!)

Why do women have to change into trees to get away from men who pursue them?  This always troubles me.

Why did Elizabeth Edwards have to suffer emotionally in her marriage, just when she did not need extra suffering?

I need to warn Kim, who found out about Ron Santo in my blog, that there is more bad news.

Elizabeth Edwards died.  She is finding out about the next transformation.  Or not.  Her family is, for sure.

3 comments:

Hannah Stephenson said...

Congratulations on the poems--I'm glad to learn of this magazine (I didn't know it before).

Kim said...

Elizabeth Edwards was the epitome of resilience and grace.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Congrats on the poems. I'll definitely check out the harmonica poem soon.

I hope that I have just a tiny amount of the beauty and grace that Elizabeth Edwards showed in her lifetime.