Sunday, December 12, 2010

We Play at Paste

Day 307 of the "What are you reading, and why?" project, and Cody, delightfully, is soon to be reading a stack of musical comedies in hardcover first editions!  I don't know why, but I do know that he and his two friends braved the blizzardy weather and dropping-to-zero temps to obtain these playscripts at Babbitt's, as one of the day's three customers!

The stack included The Fantasticks, by Tom Jones and Harvey Schmidt, based on Les Romanesques, by Edmond Rostand, also famous for Cyrano de Bergerac; Mame, by Jerome Lawrence and Robert Edwin Lee, with music by Jerry Herman, based on the play Auntie Mame, by Patrick Dennis; Applause, by Betty Comden and Adolph Green, lyrics by Lee Adams, music by Charles Strouse, and based on the movie All About Eve (which I had completely forgotten!); and The Sound of Music, the famous Rodgers and Hammerstein musical with a book by Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse, and based on the actual Trapp Family Singers and the memoir by Maria von Trapp.

And, also braving the weather, three of us met for the Sunday afternoon poetry workshop. We met not in the rare book room, our usual haunt, but across the street at the Coffeehouse, so we could have hot liquids.  Alas, any time the back door opened, we got hit by the cold draft.

Poetry is the occasion for today's images, two of my collage bookmarks, with first lines by Emily Dickinson: "We play at paste," "Victory comes late," "The nearest dream recedes, unrealized," and "We outgrow love like other things."

I did not take pictures of the ones I gave to by book group, but my son, home now from college, scanned these for me and gave them pale gray backgrounds, and saved them as images I can use in my blog!!

Yay for technologically savvy children!  Who help their mommies.

12 comments:

Kathleen said...

My husband, who sees faces everywhere, of course immediately saw the funny face in the "We play at paste" bookmark!

seana graham said...

It will be nice to see more of your bookmarks. I found that it helps to magnify them.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Very cool bookmarks! Thanks for sharing.

Kathleen said...

Thanks! Seana, yes, to get them to upload here, they need to be smaller, but to read them, they are best magnified! In real life, they are readable, too.

Kathleen said...

And/or if you click on the image itself, you get a separate page with the bookmarks alone, bigger, and can read them there.

JulieK said...

Will you be offering a bookmark-collage-making dealio anytime soon? I know you did one before, but I missed it.

Kathleen said...

Julie, we could do this at my house if you want! Our own little dealio! The one in the bookstore was more casual, and ultimately more kid-oriented, although there were some grown-up kids like me who fell into cut-and-paste reveries. And it IS a casual, laid-back kind of process, just more image-oriented for kids and during a summer arts festival and more word-oriented if you have the time and inclination. In fact, a great thing to do if you are snowed in!...on a no-school day!...unless you are me and have to go to work.

Robert said...

Following your links, I just learned that Angela Lansbury played the lead in the orignal version of Mame. Who'd have thought!? Cool blog!

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Robert! Isn't it fun what we learn from clicking and playing around?!

Kathleen said...

Oh! Robert, you're Bob!

JulieK said...

I am available anytime for in-home collaging dealios. Also, knitting lessons. And mosaic lessons. There are lots of things I want to learn!

Kathleen said...

I can knit. I cannot quilt, but I want to learn.