Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Eclectica Spotlight

The spring issue of Eclectica is out, and I am in it! In fact the spotlight is on me, as I am the "Spotlight Author," so this is a triple treat! To have poems in a magazine, to be featured, and to have this theatrical theme (because I used to work as an actor) as coincidental icing on the eclectic cake!

I've known of Eclectica for years, and enjoy it down to its clear and specific guidelines. See "A few more words..." which asks you gently but firmly to proofread your work!

I love that it is "eclectic" in its tastes! I love its clear index page, and its layout, even if I do get lost in its navigation sometimes, because of my own technological challenge and because I forget to refresh a page I have visited before, etc. And that's why I had not submitted earlier--fear of technology!--but more and more I have been getting over my fears and challenges and submitting to fine and fun online magazines!

This issue is beautifully illustrated by photos and images by past Eclectica contributors. It has stories, reviews, essays, interviews, and travel pieces as well as poems. So much to enjoy, so check it out!!

Fittingly, the Eclectica icon for the poetry section is a coffee cup, and I must confess that I drank coffee in the evening last night, 1) to warm up, as the chill and wind outside make my home office cold, too and 2) to keep working on a poetry review & interview questions for an upcoming piece.

Aauughh. Note to self: remember not to drink coffee at night!

So, while it was a bit difficult to sleep, I had a super-vivid movie-like dream that woke me up this morning. I wrote it down. Maybe it is my new job, a screenplay. Heh.

If you are writing a poem a day for April, National Poetry Month, perhaps you are finding that the well has gone dry...? (Coffee dehydrates.)

*****

April 19 poem-a-day prompt: well gone dry

15 comments:

Maureen said...

Congratulations!

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Maureen!

Emily said...

I take my meds before I go to bed. Bizarre, vivid, non-lucid dreams are par for the course.

Hannah Stephenson said...

I am always coffeed (how many E's???) up. It is a way of life.

Congrats on being featured---you deserve it!! Great poems in there, as well.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Hannah. I am having some leftover re-heated coffee now.

Some coffee people are cringing....

Sandy Longhorn said...

Woo hoo, Kathleen! Lovely poems, especially the one about the juncos. Oh and I love the wit of "a Normal woman." :)

Kathleen said...

Thank you, Sandy. When it comes to Normal jokes, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Mark Kerstetter said...

Congratulations Kathleen! You look good in the spotlight, and Eclectica is a great place to be.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Mark!

ted tingley said...

Congratulations!

When I lived in your fair city many years ago we had a man in one of our training classes with a ficticious man on the roles named A.B Normal.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Ted. I.B. Normal, too.

Collagemama said...

You are right in there shining to convicts, high school students and movie excecutives! Love it. It you add in roller derby stars it would be much like my class.

Kathleen said...

The roller derby came to our town! Alas, and skated away, since the local coliseum had laid the floor over not-quite-melted ice....

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

Love the lQQk of Eclectica. Congrats! Love your pieces and your paradisiac back yard garden. Glad the 'spotlight' was on you because the shadow you cast gives me inspiration.

By the way, I think you'd fit in 'normal' as a screenplay writer. You have the 'chops', the talent and the drama background, and the 'wit'.

Kathleen said...

Thank you, nene!