Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Torch

I don't know how it will all fit together this Tuesday, when the poem-a-day prompt is, randomly, other than the weekday name, Tuesday Weld, but here goes.

To cook, I need music, so last night's dinner was cooked to Torch, an album made by Carly Simon while she was breaking up with James Taylor, surely a fact every Carly Simon fan but me knew before this morning's brief visit to Wikipedia.

The album cover shows him what he'll be missing, as does the song "What Shall We Do with the Child."

"Torch songs" are songs of unrequited love, for the one you "hold a torch" for.  Again, thanks to Wikipedia, this time for a list of noted torch singers, a list that includes Fiona Apple, Paul Anka (out of alphabetical order), Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday, Etta James, Norah Jones, Ethel Merman, Kate Smith, Sophie Tucker, and Amy Winehouse, but no Carly Simon.  So, an odd list, but lots of fun.

Today's imaginary playlist, then, is all the songs on this album, including "Spring is Here," which contains the ironic lyric, "Spring is here, I hear," which does apply to today, blue sky but 36 degrees so far this morning.

Tuesday Weld carried a torch for Warren Beatty, the rich kid, on The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, a tv show I vaguely remember loving in early childhood, especially for the Beatnik character played by Bob Denver and sweet-faced Dobie Gillis.  Mainly, I loved saying his name!

Dobie carried a torch for Thalia, played by Tuesday. Zelda carried a torch for Dobie. Zelda was played by Sheila James, now known as Sheila James Kuehl, American politician, and, Wikipedia tells us, "the first openly gay person elected to the California legislature." Go, Zelda!  If it weren't a sitcom, it would be Chekhovian, this unrequited love circle!

Added to which, "I don't consider myself to be not gay," said Carly Simon. "I've enlarged all of my possibilities."  People are so interesting!

Anyhoo...I would just like to say that, despite the hot background music, I did not torch dinner.

***

Poem-a-day prompt:

April 5--Tuesday Weld

9 comments:

Hannah Stephenson said...

My other association with torches is their usefulness in shooing away monsters and zombies, as in "I carried a torch for Frankenstein." That would be one complicated relationship...

Marylinn Kelly said...

I was a Dobie Gillis fan...Thalia Menninger (sp?) I loved Tuesday Weld...in fan magazines of the day she wore cool T-strap sandals. She was wonderful in a movie called WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN with Nick Nolte, based on the novel DOG SOLDIERS.

Saw that TORCH includes the song, "I'll Be Around," which was a favorite of my mother's so I grew up knowing the words...there was someone carrying a torch for her. Thanks for so many memory prompts.

Marylinn Kelly said...

P.S. Yes, I would like to be entered in the poetry giveaway. Thanks.

Kathleen said...

Marylinn, you are in! And I remember Who'll Stop the Rain and think it's time for me to see it again.

Kim said...

I want a dress like Carly has on that cover. I like Van Morrison's song "Carrying a Torch", too.

Kathleen said...

Possibly a dress fashioned of thin sheet metal...

Nick said...

Whatever happened to Tuesday Weld? She was a cutie.

JulieK said...

I know Tuesday Weld's real name is Susan. Do I get a prize?

Kathleen said...

Yes, it's in my purse. Remind me, Julie!