Monday, November 28, 2011

First Snow

Supposedly we've had the first snow of the season, not far from here, and there might be more of a dusting tonight, also not far from here, but I'll be fine if it wants to hold off.

The local flora is in that in-between stage--some trees totally bare, others still flaming, several shrubs half-clothed and shivering. The garden has two stalwart mums in bloom and new growth: columbine and pinks just up from the ground, thanks to that long Indian Summer in October and a warm November.

There are even patches of new grass since the last mow. And on the curb, mountains of leaves awaiting the post-holiday leaf pickup. I took a chilly walk into town for fresh air and to shake off any post-holiday blues. All the time now I am buoyant on an ocean of joy, a calm ocean in this metaphor.

And now a time of advent is coming, that death of the year that makes us put up lights and bring out candles. Soon I'll begin my own incessant playing of "In the Bleak Midwinter." Pink Martini's Joy to the World. Blind Boys of Alabama singing "Go Tell it on the Mountain."  The Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Lost Christmas Eve.   New this year, thanks to a gift last year, Tori Amos, Midwinter Graces.

I love Christmas music! But then, I haven't been out shopping yet. And may not go out shopping at all!

4 comments:

Emily said...

I secretly love holiday music anytime of year, but I tend to listen to it waaay more during the holidays. Sigh.

Really, I just love music a whole bunch.

Kathleen said...

Me, too. I burst into holiday songs year-round, supplying spontaneous lyrics to fit the moment.

Collagemama said...

Thrilled about the first real freeze here and hoping for an end to allergy/sinus problems. Glad you burst into spontaneous holiday song. I'm having a little moment with Robert Earl Keen's "happy holidays y'all".

Kathleen said...

Happy First Freeze!