Sunday, February 12, 2012

Le Herrison

If you are a regular reader of this blog, back when I covered a book a day, asking people, "What are you reading?" you already know I loved the book The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery.  Last night I got to see the film based on it, Le Herrison, or The Hedgehog, at the fabulous restored Normal Theatre.

Lovely, sweet, funny film. Punches you in the heart.

I love it when a film does its own thing well, letting the book stand alone and do its own thing well. I love the book To Kill a Mockingbird, which does one thing, and my favorite movie ever is To Kill a Mockingbird, which does its own thing, a little different, necessarily condensing the book. Compare/contrast is natural, but they each do it well, one on literary terms, the other on cinematic terms.

Likewise with Le Herrison. The film works fine without a central narrative from a central character's past and without all the existentialism. I loved the philosophy in the book, but I did not miss it in the film. The film made me all the more curious about the Japanese film loved by Renee Michel; we see a clip. It made my experience of the book even richer without causing any problem at all for viewers (husband, friend) who had not read the book.

Trailer here.

I am such a slattern, I did not post yesterday, nor do anything but laundry and teaching today....  Oh, that is not even very slatternly...  Sigh, I'm such a lousy slattern.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Now you will get 100,000 hits from France!

Collagemama said...

I always worry about movies based on books I love. I don't want to lose my mental cinema of the book. Paloma cannot be blond! Oh, I'll have to work up some courage...

seana graham said...

Sounds good. I have yet to read this book, although I've started it and liked it and have loaned it out to something like five readers--and always gotten it back again. It was even my book group's selection, and I still didn't manage to read it!

Sometimes books seem to be encircled by a mysterious prohibition.

I'm glad the movie held up. I don't plan to see it before I read the book, so you can see the way that might be going...

Margaret said...

Yes, I know about being a lousy slattern. (great word!) Enjoyed your post.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, dear hearts and lousy slatterns! Oh, Paloma is an extremely intelligent, quirky, wonderful blonde!