Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Tricycling Along

Happy New Year! On New Year's Eve and New Year's Day we celebrated with friends in traditional ways involving drinking (but not too much), eating a variety of excellent foods (in small amounts, but probably, when totaled, too much), and playing games. One of the games involved hilarity in form of not being able to tell a joke. I suffer from this condition, but the queen of not being able to tell a joke was there, so she retains her crown!!

Now I am back to work: writing, editing, and, still, tallying. Another rejection came in, but also notification of publication. I have two poems in Review Americana, and here they are, taking us back to summer and fall as we settle into winter. By chance, "American Dream," which both questions and nostalgically restores the American Dream (I think...I hope...?), coincides with some journal comments excerpted in Escape Into Life today, at Be Alive.

Thanks to Jeff Felker (there and here) for his Lamplight Ballet!

The tricycle made of buttons and crochet work is by Marie Bergstedt, and you can find it at Woman Made Gallery, as I did! It was in their 14th International Open exhibition, as was a table full of ancient corn harvesting tools. These items and others appear in my second Review Americana poem (scroll down), "The Art of Ghosts." As does a famous funny movie.

10 comments:

SarahJane said...

Enjoyed your poems, Kathleen, especially the first one. Happy new year! I wish you many good poems.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Sarah!

Maureen said...

Thanks for the heads-up about the Woman Made show; I'm going to include it in an All Art Friday.

Congratulations on the acceptances.

Susan Rich has a fun post today about her poetry version of the license plate game that she uses for making submissions.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Maureen. It's a past WMG show, but they have an International Open every year, and other fascinating group shows and invitationals.

By chance, I had just come from reading Susan Rich's delightful post when I saw you had commented here. Thanks, it was fun indeed!

jeronimus said...

Congratulations on the poems. They are wonderful.
Morning Glory grows out of control here in Sydney. There is an empty house and yard in the next suburb which is completely smothered.

Along These Lines ... said...

I was never very coordinated on bicycles or even tricycles. Wish they'd made a quadricycle.

Kathleen said...

I sense none of us would get very far on this particular tricycle!

Morning glory can do great harm here, too. I hear the lantana is large and wild in Australia as well, Jeronimus. It has been introduced here, for gardens, but I think our winter takes it out...until global warming advances a bit further...

Robert Mc said...

Thanks for the poems, Kathleen. Really fine work--the first one reminds me a lot of a poem Diane Wakoski wrote about morning glories--but I can't find it on line to share with you. :(

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Robert. I'll keep an eye out for the Wakoski poem. I don't have a book of hers--I'm usually reading her in anthologies--but maybe my mom does!

Hannah Stephenson said...

Hey, congrats! That's fantastic news.