Sunday, February 23, 2014

Apple & Oranges

More citrus fruit, plus an incomparable apple, from Jonathan Koch. More sunshine in central Illinois, and we needed it.

I'm feeling the same ongoing uncertainty in my personal life side by side with the radical uncertainty in life in general...which sometimes makes me want to pull a dishcloth over my head.

But most of the time, I just sit there on the edge, a fat apple.
Speaking of fruit, I've reviewed A House of Many Windows, by Donna Vorreyer, for Prick of the Spindle, in my Poetry Cheerleader column. Yes, this was the only way I was ever going to be a cheerleader, thanks to my [lack of a] tiger jump.

One of her poems has the line "Care for the container and the fruit will not bruise" which may be true about fruit baskets but not always true metaphorically, poignantly pertinent in the book.

Vorreyer has a chapbook called Womb/Seed/Fruit that I wrote about here, in my whimsical way, and another about a pioneer wife, also reviewed in Prick of the Spindle. She's a lovely poet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your review, Kathleen! You are one of my biggest cheerleaders, for which I am grateful. (And I can't even do a cartwheel, so I was never a cheerleader, either...)

Kathleen said...

You are welcome. I am glad we are both OK with not being cheerleaders!

Collagemama said...

Wish I had time to read the reviews and poems. For now, though, I'm thinking about wearing a dishtowel on my head as I go out into the uncertain world.

Kathleen said...

It definitely helps, if you can hold up under the funny looks.

Unknown said...

Wear the dish towel and feel good about your choice...Just remember to accessorize it! Many dish-towel moments will be encountered in this life.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Chrystal. I will probably accessorize with an apron and a hair scrunchee.