Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Daughter of Midas

I love it when somebody makes a movie based on my work! (You should hear my Academy Award acceptance speeches in the shower.) The most recent is Daughter of Midas, based on a poem of mine in Glasschord, as interpreted by Nic Sebastian, who created The Poetry Storehouse. Poets offer poems for "remix" and filmmakers do just that!--remix by re-conceiving poems in their own way, adding available video clips or filming new footage. I love it when Nic records the poem herself, as in this case, when she was also the filmmaker, here at Vimeo! So eerily beautiful!

Othniel Smith also made a film of "Daughter of Midas," and I shared it a while back, but here it is again, for comparison! What a delight.

He has a wonderful sense of humor. So does Paul Hostovsky. I reviewed his book Naming Names today at EIL. It does name names! And it made me laugh.

I needed to laugh. Because, you know, the cold is here, and I don't really want to go out. And my car is still broken. And we raked all the leaves already. Almost all. Almost all the golden leaves...

Thanks to Wikipedia, Walter Crane, and Nathaniel Hawthorne for this illustration of Midas touching his daughter and turning her to gold. Thanks to Meryl Streep for hugging the Oscar.

4 comments:

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

pleasing. :-)

Collagemama said...

Love the new movie. It brought back a strange vivid childhood memory of going to a Summer Reading Program event at the downtown library where they showed a film of the Midas story with marionettes. It was creepy.

seana graham said...

How cool to have two different films of your poem. Very interesting to compare the versions.

Kathleen said...

Thank you all! I'm sure the filmmakers appreciate your interest. I know I do! Yes, it's a real thrill to see how different people respond to the poem.