Saturday, January 30, 2016

Pie-in-the-Sky Cover

I stumbled upon "Confessions of a Book Cover Designer, by Keith Hayes (as told to Tim Murphy), in the November issue of Mental Floss, an issue devoted to books and book lovers. Hayes said, "I like covers that don't look like book covers. My pie-in-the-sky cover would be one without type--just an image-based cover, no title, no author. I think that would be effective branding."

What a thrill. That's exactly what I wanted for my Red Bird chapbook, ABCs of Women's Work! Many thanks to Red Bird founder and designer, Dana Hoeschen, for working with me on the design of the book, and to my son, Hudson Rio, for adapting the 1760 sampler by Elizabeth Laidman into the actual cover! Which, other than the stitched letters and numbers, contains no "type" and "no title, no author." That info is revealed inside! Along with the poems.

I find the cover very pleasing and in keeping with the idea, also revealed within, of the quiet persistence of women, so often doing their work--work of all kinds--invisibly, steadily, without recognition or "reward," often simultaneously noticing and appreciating the work of other women and other creatures...

Hmmm, but as to "effective branding," I confess I still resist branding. I don't want to be a cow, with an owner's mark burned into my hide.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

I loved the cover and, more important, the poem inside. Wonderful!

Collagemama said...

"The quiet persistence of women"--love it.

Kathleen said...

Thank you, Collagemama!