Saturday, April 2, 2022

Poetry Sunday

This weekend we celebrate National Poetry Month at my church with Poetry Sunday, a sharing of favorite poems and original poems by members of the congregation. We're a small progressive church, a safe place for all kinds of seekers, and a good bunch. We're in between pastors right now, with guest speakers from all kinds of places, plus us, so, as one of our resident poets, I'm helping out and have chosen poems for all the readings, recitations, and prayers. Wendell Berry, Mary Oliver, Christina Rossetti,  James Wright, Louise Gluck. If I'm brave enough, I will also share a recent poem of my own, about the day my dad had a heart procedure.

I'm still writing a poem a day for Lent, and, now that April has begun, another for that, in an annual poem-a-day-in-April tradition. I'm glad I will have a jillion drafts to work on all year, plus the handwritten poems in a notebook that keep surprising me by even existing.

Also reading a lot of poetry, as usual, most recently Self-Portait with a Million Dollars, pictured above (cover art: Darn by Mary McDonnell) and available at Terrapin Books, here. Part way through Blood Weather by Alice Friman. These two poets will be reading at my local library, via YouTube Live, on Tuesday, May 17, 7-8 p.m. central time! Join us! And the library has acquired these two books. Perfect for our ongoing Adult Reading Challenge, as April's challenge is to read a book of poetry. Beautiful array of them, along with April raindrops, on display on the main floor!

(Cover art for Blood Weather is Memory, by Rene Magritte.)

Our April showers are actual rain, after tiny ice balls for the exit of March. In March I was re-reading The Girl Who Wasn't and Is, by Anastasia Walker, to review it for Escape Into Life. I love my stacks of books to read, and am already set for the Seeley Challenge in August! And ready for the warmth of summer...

2 comments:

Yvonne Zipter said...

Good choice on Patricia’s book! I really enjoyed it. And congrats on your poem-a-day challenge. I haven’t been doing that, but did write two poems today and one yesterday, so I guess I’m making up for lost time!

Bethany Reid said...

I love your church -- without having ever been there. Poetry Sunday!

Thanks for the book recommendation, too!