Friday, May 12, 2023

Weekend Updates

At the end of my last blog entry, I planned to wipe down the chalkboard. Accomplished! It's ready for tomorrow's short poem. And I actually sent off that submission to The New Yorker. Wish me luck. In the meantime, I got a check in the mail--very rare!--for poems soon to come out in December Magazine, and I proofed a poem soon to come out in Image. From a lot of nothing, to a lot of something!

And tonight I'm coming up on the third book group in the week of three. Two were/are in friends' homes, so lovely, and one was in the wine bar. Excellent. I had two glasses of wine before the others revealed they were, for various reasons, drinking non-alcoholic beer. I believe I remained coherent. The next book up in that group is This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession, by Daniel J. Levitin, so that will be my June challenge book, and I am reading Candy House now, because I am humanly obsessed with fiction.

My wild columbine plants are all blooming, and lily of the valley. The iris have begun. My neighbor's lilac makes everything so sweet. I have volunteer honeysuckle in the front where it's hard to get things to grow, so I am leaving it there. The purple smokebush is deep in leaf, and blue bugleweed is marching out into the yard.

No comments: