Monday, October 30, 2023

Empty Shelves


What a difficult and sweet, sad and joyous time it has been. We cleared out the house with the help of friends and family. I never thought I'd see these bookshelves empty of books. And today we moved my fierce and feisty mother into hospice care. I'm glad I got to spend some quiet time with her in the hospital and that I got to see her moved safely into the hands of calm, experienced people who will help my dad through whatever is to come next. 

The full impact of losing my mom--a gradual and imminent process--hit me as I drove down the driveway of my childhood home for the last time. The empty house...was her. 


And this is her, too!

4 comments:

Dan Sylvester said...

K, I took am sad to hear about your mother. The house was always "The Kirks" whenever my pestiferous sisters and I visited. I loved the big ole Victorian and the yar

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Dan. Wishing you well.

Carol Berg said...

I'm so sorry. I had to clear my parent's house out--my childhood home a few years ago. We found old lists my mom had written out--made us all laugh. It is truly bittersweet. Thinking of you, Kathleen, at this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Carol.