Sunday, August 15, 2010

5 Little Houseguests and What They Read

Day 188...and Gaye, Conor, Mikayla, and Aidan* like to read books in series! They were great fans of Harry Potter, Inkheart, and the Pendragon books, and now they are reading Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan and the rest of those books, and the Geronimo Stilton series.

*Jordan, the 5th little houseguest, had to stay home and work her summer job in an ice cream parlor. We missed her.

Not currently engaged in a series, however, Conor is reading The Jester.

"Who is that by?" I asked.

"James Patterson," said Conor. But I see by checking Amazon that a co-author is listed, Andrew Grossman, and that there is some quibble about who is the main author. At any rate, it's historical fiction, medieval history at that, and if a teenage boy likes it, it must be a good read.

As Gaye and I discussed The Road, by Cormac McCarthy, which we had borrowed from her family, Conor also volunteered this: "I don't like books that make me think."

"Oh, well what kind of books do you like?" I asked.

"Tom Clancy."

I had to admit I'd never read a Tom Clancy novel, but I think I have seen some movies based on them. Yes, I have.

After a fond, end-of-summer, sweet goodbye, we watched them head down the road. Then I headed back out to the picnic table to enjoy the cool evening breeze, the never-say-cicadas, and two "chocolates" by Diane Lockward's What Feeds Us--"Gender Issue" about a man and his doll, and "The Shampoo Artist: A Really Dramatic Monologue." Oh, she would have been great in our recent Glitterary Reading at Glitterati Hair Salon!

No comments: