Monday, May 27, 2013

Indoor Picnic

Happy Memorial Day. Today it'll be an indoor picnic. I'm responsible for the fruit salad. But I've been thinking about alignment, the universe, synchronicity, synchronization, and so on. Thanks to all that, it's a Random Coinciday in the blog. Thanks to the rain, it's a Blue Monday.

And real thanks to veterans today. Remembrances to those who have died, veterans of life if not war.

And thanks to this NPR story, I've been thinking about synchronicity and alignment via metronomes. I recommend watching these two short videos and reading about how and why they synchronize. We talk about "good vibrations," and I often send "good vibes" out into the universe when people ask me for prayers--sort of a thought ripple of hope, rather than wishful thinking addressed to a god figure.

Sometimes I talk about realigning myself in the universe, meaning straightening my spine via yoga, but maybe I should reconsider it in view of these metronomes. What am I really asking? Or doing? Am I trying to enter the flow of good vibrations? Or am I seeking some kind of conformity?

I'm more of a fruit salad kind of girl. I didn't even notice that the colorful metronomes were all in rows, until...they were synchronized! Once they were, they reminded me of soldiers.

On Sunday, the pastor quoted Forrest Gump: "I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I think maybe it's both. Maybe both are happening at the same time."

I think it's both, too. Some of us chart our lives, and some more evidently float, but we usually don't see the story till we look back. Even if my life is more like the path of a floating feather, it may have hit points in the air that create an invisible constellation. A dot-to-dot picture. A story. With meaning.

3 comments:

Collagemama said...

Having just read "Air" in Michael Pollan's "Cooked", I am thinking about the beneficial microbes that just happen to end up in the sour-dough starter, just floating around being ready for destiny and bread.

seana graham said...

Very nice. I like the "It's both." idea quite a lot.

Kathleen said...

Thanks to you both for visiting and commenting. It's always nice to know that the microbes of my origami brain have landed on somebody else. Tee hee.

Achoo!