Monday, July 7, 2014

Clotheslines

We spent a few days in Missouri, swimming and playing a bit of sand volleyball, so there was laundry to do on our return. And poetry out there in the world. Coinciding a bit: 

"Clothesline," first published in Waccamaw, has been made into a little movie by Jutta Pryor, thanks to The Poetry Storehouse and their filmmakers at Vimeo. Earlier, filmmaker Othniel Smith also made a brief film, of "Daughter of Midas," involving clothes on (and off) mannequins. 

And the summer issue of IthacaLit is just out, with 3 of my poems in it, including "The Discount Horizon," where a bolt of cloth sits in a sale bin (not at Hobby Lobby) thanks to a misreading of "the distant horizon." And thanks to poet Sarah J. Sloat, who was writing about her many recent misreadings! Very recently, here: Give my errands to Broadway.

I'm "bluing" a bit on this Blue Monday, after the nice family wamily gathering, as my son's gone "home" to Chicago, where he works. My daughter is out with her boyfriend, helping a friend celebrate her birthday. And my parents are, I hope, safely abed.

7 comments:

Collagemama said...

Thank you for this fresh, clean start to the morning, and for the reminder about bluing and making crystals (at Wikipedia).

Kathleen said...

And thank YOU for not having nightcrawlers for breakfast! (I wrote a play once called Nightcrawlers.)

Maureen said...

Congratulations, Kathleen. I love your 'Clothesline' poem and what Jutta Pryor has done with it.

Kim said...

Trying to let my hair go back to it's natural white/gray...think I could use some of the bluing like my great aunts used to do!

M.J.Iuppa said...

Kathleen,

I listened (and watched and listened) to your poems posted on The Poetry Storehouse site. I loved hearing your voice. I need to post my reading of my poems there. My daughter, who is an actor, gave them voice and, of course, Nic. I do love listening to Nic read.

Sounds like you're doing well. I have been moored in our gardens. This morning catching up on what's happening in Blogville!
Kind regards,
M.J.

Kathleen said...

Kim, you might try Jhirmack Distinctions Silver Plus Ageless Shampoo for wise(acre) older types. It doesn't mention bluing in its ingredients, but it does mention anti-yellowing in its promises. Plus, it has macadamia seed oil and castor oil, so it'll keep you regular, too.

Kathleen said...

M.J., thank you so much. Yes, do send your poems there! And I was just out in the garden seeing that the pale coneflowers have opened!