Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Meetings


And today...I have meetings. A brainstorm meeting for an upcoming writing project, to which I am taking my "brainstorm notes," and a meeting of my book group: we read The Book Thief, by Markus Zuzak. Normally, I don't much like meetings, but these should be good.

Here are some meetings of pages, via spiral notebook spine, in the art of Tifenn Python, paired with Jack Schwarz in the new poetry feature up today at Escape Into Life. I like how I know when an artist is "the one" to pair with a poet in my fantabulous job as poetry editor. It's different every time, but it's some wonderful meeting of poem and art, some set of coincidences. Here, the doubleness of page in the notebook art did something, the mix of animal parts, the mix of words and images.

And that the word "python" appears in one of the poems!

Schwarz is writing about Susan Sontag writing about art, so there's a doubleness in that. In the love poems, there are two people, an "I" and a "you." There are meetings of text and image, of mind and heart, of criticism and creation. And Jack is the father of Hannah Stephenson, featured earlier at Escape Into Life, with the wonderful multiple images of Claudia Rogge, some of which also use writing & image.

And if you don't like art or poetry, you still might want to click on Jack Schwarz's feature because he looks a little like George Clooney, or, as Jack himself says, like "a cross between Paul Newman, George Clooney, and Steve Buscemi." What's not to like?



7 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

This art is amazing (as always)! Am now off to read the poems and view more art!

Maureen said...

What a wonderful EIL feature! And what a delight to learn Hannah (one of my favorite poets) is his daughter.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, dears! Yes, so much delight!

jeronimus said...

I've always loved the combination of image and text in Chinese and Indian paintings.
And these meetings are wonderful.
Did you like The Book Thief? I haven't had a chance to as yet.

Kathleen said...

I did love The Book Thief, yes. Tender and devastating. It's a Sydney, Australia story, in a way. And a WWII story.

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

Gracias Kathleen for sharing on EIL's focus of Jack Schwarz. Wow, he's wonderful and that whole dual thingy. I can see where Hannah (the Storialist) gets some of her inspiration.

Thanks again for the books. Almost finished them all. And thanks for continuing other reading recommendations because I'm building my library back, one book at a time.

Gracias mi amiga

Bethany Reid said...

These pages are beautiful! Thank you for sharing them.

I spent today in meetings, too. I fell asleep in one.