Monday, September 12, 2011

Chasing Amy

I'm not talking about this film, Chasing Amy, but I did enjoy it when it came out.

I'm talking about Amy Monticello, whose work I always admire.  Here at her blog, ten square miles, you can read a great essay, "In Defense of Humanities Adjuncts," fully engaged with the complexities of being an adjunct English instructor at a college or university these days.

So it's a Blue Monday sort of blog post here, on the first day of the week for teachers and students...

Amy isn't blue, though--she's passionate in her support of adjuncts, so, if you are suffering and needing some moral support, go there!

If you are having a nervous breakdown, go here, The Nervous Breakdown, where Amy is also a writer.

And if you love reading excellent writing...and ever experienced marriage trouble where there's still love...you might be interested in her chapbook, Close Quarters, forthcoming from Sweet Publications.

She can also be found in Prick of the Spindle, which might be where I first found her...?

Or did Hannah Stephenson, The Storialist, point me in Amy's direction?

Anyhoo, I guess I'm not just a cheerleader for poetry anymore.  I'm a cheerleader for prose, too.

4 comments:

Hannah Stephenson said...

Yay, cheerlead away! It's a good quality, Kathleen.

I think I sent you her blog link and her yours....(Amy and I went to grad school together, and she is wonderful), but I won't take credit for you guys connecting :).

Kathleen said...

I thought it was you who first sent me to her fabulous blog!

Amy Monticello said...

Thank you both so much for the publicity on your two gorgeous blogs, your friendship in the virtual and real worlds, and your support as writers and bloggers! I adore you and your work and your inspirational Internet presences! xoxo

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Amy!