Monday, September 19, 2011

Not at All Blue

It's Blue Monday in the blog, but I'm not at all blue, and neither is the sky. One of those whitish gray days, dimly raining, while more shreds of wet toilet paper fall out of the trees, and I go out with my trusty smiley-face Chinese restaurant takeout bag and scrape it up off the street and sidewalk. Toilet paper was very fun and lovely hanging there, a bit ickier squeezed out in the hand. Homecoming's over, the semester continues.

Entering a busy time, when my head must accommodate two sets of lines: 1) a monologue by Martha Rice, who lived in our town and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery 2) Rose Adelle Abrams, Penelope-like faithful wife of Odysseus-like songwriter hubby Sam, in Sirens, upcoming at Heartland Theatre. Brain might explode. That would be a Blue (Gray) Monday.

For now, I will let these bird paintings by Pamela Callahan watch over me, as they have before.

And I'll also send you to The Bloggess, whose faith in birdkind has been restored, in case you need a totebag.

9 comments:

JulieK said...

Yesterday I was out at the cemetery while my husband practiced being a tour guide for the Discovery Walk (including Martha Rice) and then I got to hear "Sirens" and see a little Rose Adelle. Definite cognitive dissonance!! But both were awesome in their own ways, and I look forward to more cognitive dissonance/multi-tasking!

Hannah Stephenson said...

Grey Monday here as well....I'm really liking those paintings. The bird as map....innnnnteresting.

Anonymous said...

love this artwork! laughed @ the wet t paper. life doesn't ever blue completely out.

Maureen said...

Grey here in the D.C. area, too.

I also like the birds, especially how they are paired. I clicked over to see if the artist used wax and found she did.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, all. That's cool, Maureen! And Pamela's work has been used for two books on craft from Rose Metal Press!

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Press-Field-Guide-Poetry/dp/0978984889/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316458609&sr=1-2

and

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Press-Field-Writing-Fiction/dp/0978984862/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316458609&sr=1-1

These links won't appear as live links, but you can 1) copy and paste into your browser or 2) go there via right-click if you have that function....

Collagemama said...

Don't chew the wet TP! I always love telling students that "papier mache" is French for "chewed paper".

Kathleen said...

I eschew the wet papier!

Unknown said...

Wow, good going with the toilet paper! I love those bird pictures, thanks for posting them.

The title of your blog makes me laugh every time I visit. Have a good week.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Helen!