Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Julia Child's Kitchen

Isn't that beautiful? Of course, it's Julia Child's kitchen, not mine. Mine always has a few dishes in the sink, or next to it, a few crumbs on the surfaces, and many, many non-kitchen-related items on all surfaces: car keys, volleyball schedules, volleyball bags, sometimes even volleyball shoes. Today's mail, yesterday's coupons, a drawing of somebody else's kitchen rehab or hip roof, a book or literary journal with a bookmark in it, and various random items. Often, I put these random items on the stairs to go up. And there they remain.

It's Julia Child's 100th birthday. This may inspire me to make tomato sauce from garden tomatoes for supper tonight. They were left for me on the picnic table in the back yard by my mother, along with a bag of fresh-picked green beans. Thanks, Mom! I was off at work, conveniently time around my daughter's morning volleyball practice. (Freelancing is good!)

Now she's off at practice, round 2, which today is community service as a team, for team bonding. She = daughter, not mother. (Community service is good!)

I was celebrating Julia Child at Escape Into Life today, too, by telling you "what's cooking" for 3 of the EIL solo feature poets. If you are a poet with something good cooking, please tell our readers over there!

And here is a delicious new painting by Jonathan Koch, Peach, Black-berries, Walnut. That could make a mouthwatering crumble, couldn't it? With lots and lots of butter.

6 comments:

Maureen said...

Fun way to intro your post at EIL.

I just tweeted some links to the Julia Child kitchen. It's open temporarily at American History Museum. There's a page online of fun facts about it.

Hannah Stephenson said...

Glad to hear all is well (and freelancing, eh? Good for you!). School is about to start up again--is your sister getting ready for Otterbein? I am!

Anonymous said...

your blog is a kitchen that whets my appetite. lovely to consider, all of this.

Collagemama said...

Your kitchen table description makes me feel better. Mine has a blood pressure meter for a centerpiece, and a stack of newspaper crossword puzzles. I do the crossword and sudoku puzzles, but conveniently ignore the BP.

Linda Roy said...

I saw this kitchen at the Smithsonian and was so excited! All of her copper pots and pans, the peg board they hung on, the kitchen table. Wow. I remember watching her when I was a child. She inspired my ole of cooking. Happy Birthday Julia! Bon appetit!

seana graham said...

I was watching some sort of trailer on a PBS show about her the other night,and it did seem to portray her as whacking the dead carcasses of things with an unusual amount of gusto.

Not that I'm a vegetarian. Just saying...