Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Poetry Tarot

I love these poetry tarot cards created by Susan Yount, up now at Escape Into Life in a new poems-about-poetry feature in the ongoing celebration of National Poetry Month in April. Walt Whitman is gorgeous as The Sun. And look how the golden orb transforms into the moon with Lucille Clifton as The Empress and a sort of halo around Federico Garcia Lorca as The High Priest.
More cards here, with captions. Just keep clicking "Older Posts" and eventually you'll find Charles Bukowski as the Devil. And so on. And Emily Dickinson as Death, of course, here.

With butterflies.

I've called this mini-anthology "Joy in Transgression" to honor Yount's duende process, from Lorca, her personal "high priest" in art, using the word "transgress" to mean "crossing a boundary," as well as the idea of "transgression" as disobedience or sin, as we poets are so often told not to write poems about poetry.

But we do! I hope you'll enjoy the poems. You can click on each poet's name to find more of her or his work at EIL. There's even a poem by me, a further transgression. But, hey, I was a contributing poet at Escape Into Life before I was an editor there, so I guess it's not so bad. But it does cross a boundary!

Hey, I think that's me in the background, leaning on my elbow.

8 comments:

Maureen said...

The poetry tarot cards are wonderful! I especially like how you've paired them with the poetry feature at EIL today.

Hannah Stephenson said...

Oh! These images are totally fantastic....I love them.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, dears. I can't wait till this deck is finished and available in the world!!

Donna Vorreyer said...

I love Susan's images! I hope she decides to sell sets or prints - I must have Walt and Edna for my writing space!

Kathleen said...

Prints! Good idea, Donna. Truly, though, I want the whole deck!

SarahJane said...

I love those tarot cards, too.

ron hardy said...

Wow Kathleen. These cards are great. Would make great posters too.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Sarah Jane and Ron. I do hope Susan Yount can make these widely available, as tarot cards, posters, notecards, stationery, etc!