Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cone of Silence

I am in love with these pinecones, created from shovels by Patrick Plourde.

Why?

Well, I asked myself that question in the Escape Into Life poetry blog today. And sort of answered it. And then asked you a question.

If you are so inclined, please see the EIL Blog and leave me an answer!

But then my brain did one of its Random Coinciday things. I thought of the Cone of Invisibility. I'm pretty sure there's no such thing, even if these shovels become "invisible" in transforming themselves into pinecones.

I was surely juxtaposing the Cloak of Invisibility (Harry Potter, etc.) with the Cone of Silence (Get Smart).

But these cones do evoke a silence, don't they?!

***

Credits: flickr
& Patrick Plourde, Sculptor

7 comments:

Maureen said...

I love these, too, partly because of the way the human eye can look at one thing (shovel) and see in it something entirely different (pine cone, artichoke, etc.), and yet others might never visualize that entirely different thing on their own. There's playfulness in these sculptures, as well. They're just fun! I like that they are outsize, have heft, too.

Kathleen said...

I like the playfulness, too, Maureen!

Karen J. Weyant said...

Of course, I love all the images! I tend to be most atracted to the images that are more surreal (even though my own poetry is more gritty and real).

Kathleen said...

I like that kind of opposition, too! Thanks, Karen.

seana graham said...

Maybe it's just coming across the giant pine cone images first, but I think they are my favorites. And what I think I like about them is not the idea that they are repurposed shovels or anything like that, but just that they are pinecones. I'm taking them at face value. In the other images, I feel a bit of anxiety, thinking, okay, there's a story here that I am supposed to get or imagine or whatever. But with the giant pinecones, I just look and say, Hey! Giant pinecones! How lovely!

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Seana. That happened to me, too. The delight of the giant pinecones came first. Then the secondary delight of finding out they were shovels!

Anonymous said...

Know nowt about the cone of invisibility but will you settle for the coin of invisibility?

Place coin on flat surface. Balance a glass on top. Standing at arm's length from glass, confirm you can see the coin clearly. Still at arm's length, pour a couple of inches of water into the glass. The coin will now have disappeared.

Under normal circumstances it will reappear in 6 months time down the back of the couch and in the company of the key to the shed and a winning (but now expired) lottery ticket.

Roscoe

(BTW don't feel under any obligation to clutter up your blog with this post.)