Monday, May 14, 2012

A Vague Niçoise


Today, rescuing my husband from a hunger headache on a roof, by taking him a sack lunch, I encountered some fresh asparagus and arugula. Thank you, Bill. Bill was just then cutting some asparagus for me, from his fine garden, and handed me the knife to cut the arugula, a “peppery” green.

Voilà! Dinner!  

I had no tuna and no anchovies, and I did steam the asparagus with a bit of olive oil and lemon juice, so this is in no way a purist’s Salade Niçoise, which would require the fish and the uncooked veggies, but it was delicious. And I used the asparagus spears in place of the traditional green beans. (I love green beans, but I didn’t have any!)

And I had no fresh parsley, but I had fresh cilantro, so I used that. There was chervil in the cupboard, but dried and in a jar, so I stayed with the fresh greens and garnish. I used both ripe and green olives, fresh tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, and red grapes.

Without the fish this was also vaguely vegetarian, but chickens do have a face, so not quite vegan or fully “heart healthy.” Still, healthy and delicious!

More Salade Niçoise at:



Maggie’s Meals (which has potatoes, so non-traditional)

4 comments:

The Beans said...

That does look yummy (although I'm not a much of a fan for les anchois...)

-Barb the French Bean

Molly said...

Yum! One of my favorites, plus a new twist (a resourceful cook, you are).

Collagemama said...

The interesting part of this for me is the hunger headache on the roof, but it is my bedtime. Probably about 2:48 a.m. I'll wake up and wonder why he is on the roof...how long was he up there...doesn't he eat a good breakfast...if the preschoolers get too whiny can I go up on the roof, etc.

Kristin Berkey-Abbott said...

I love that you use what you have on hand--inspiring! And it sounds delicious too.