Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Kindle!

Day 320, and, yes, my mom received a Kindle for Christmas, loaded with the complete works of Charles Dickens, William Shakespeare, and Mark Twain.  My dad is tickled with himself for giving it to her and will probably be the main one using it!  I imagine my mother will still curl up with a book, but the Kindle is a sweet thing, and it looks like it can be sort of curled up with, too, so all's well that curls well.

Other books, actual print books, received included the Lost Works of Jim Morrison, Volume 1, Wilderness and The Intelligence of Evil, or The Lucidity Pact, by Jean Baudrillard, which just sounds scary, but, hey, my husband is an artist fascinated by Baudrillard as art critic and philosopher, so we'll see......

And while Baudrillard sounds intimidating, we once heard him speak in Chicago, and he wasn't.  He was quite straightforward in English.  Warm, appealing.  In fact, he seemed like someone to curl up with.

And, for some, so was Jim Morrison.

Happy Christmas to all and to all a megabyte!

8 comments:

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

Wish I lived closer so i could visit the papyrus scented abode of the comfort driven feline celebrity known as 'Babette'. One of these days I might just surprise myself and take a days sojourn into 'Lincoln land', scale the flat terrain of Illinois' topography and saunter in quietly, unnoticed, into Babbit's. I will request of the proprietor if Babbit's has in stock the original books of Tanakh or 'Torah' in the Hebrew or Aramaic language while attemptng to mask the face of an agnostic. Whence, I shall probably witness a slight smirk of curiosity and unbelievability at the request. I shall then turn, in repose, and scurry off while knowing that behind me I will have left other customers and the proprietor with quixotic queries resounding of the ultimate question as to 'who was that masked man'? (Side note: I'll be ticked, let alone disappointed, if it happens to be your day off, Kathleen.)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful, literary holiday - mine included signed books by Kay Ryan, Alice Notley, and Robin Ekiss, three new Moleskin journals (which I carry everywhere), Anne Carson's Nox, an anthology of Middle Eastern literature called Tablet and Pen (edited by Reza Aslan), AND a lithograph of one of Austin Kleon's blackout poems. Isn't it wonderful when your family knows you so well!? Lots to cuddle up with - Merry Christmas!

Kathleen said...

Wow! Happy reading, Donna!

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

Wish to follow up in saying that the comment I just submitted on possibly someday visiting Babbit's was in reference to one of your followers stating that she wishes she lived closer so she could visit you and Babette (hope I spelled her name correctly). I just wanted to clarify that which I wrote. I was joking when I said 'I would be ticked' if it was your day off. Didn't mean it 'creepilaciously', just a fond follower.

Kathleen said...

Don't worry, Nene. I understood. Babbbitt's gets a lot of out-of-town visitors. So does Babette, as well as a lot of in-town cat-loving visitors.

And, as for creeps, we are a block from the police station, and they come whenever we call about anything odd. Small towns are nice.

Cathy said...

I love LOVE LOOOOOVVVE my new Kindle. No good for poetry, though.

Kathleen said...

Cathy, does a Kindle screw up the line breaks?!!

Chef E said...

I am glad you mentioned these book, I will be checking them out...hubby has a kindle account so we can read them online too...

Creative TMI