Friday, March 1, 2013

Hazelnuts in Winter

I'm tired of winter. But it's very pretty. Here is the Winter Quarterly issue of Blue Fifth Review, its Blue Five Notebook series: 5 writers on a topic, this time, the city. My poem in it, "Emilio's Tapas, Sol y Nieve", actually takes place in the summer in the city, but there is a reason (hazelnuts) to imagine the winter.

Reading is a good way to keep warm, all bundled up on couch or chair.

And here is Prick of the Spindle, where I have a new Poetry Cheerleader review up, of Illinois, My Apologies, a chapbook by Justin Hamm. Cheerleading is another great way to keep warm.

Many thanks to Wikipedia for its public domain image of the common hazel and to Tony the Tiger for three hazelnuts (aka filberts), skin-on, skin-off, and halved. Yes, Tony the Tiger. Filberts are also good covered in chocolate, yet another way to stay warm in winter. Do I seem a little obsessed with chocolate lately?

8 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

Great poem and great review. Thanks!

First Lee said...

People can have odd Wikipedia names, can't they? For example, my own. Which I won't mention here.

Collagemama said...

In my efforts to become a burrito or maybe a cocoon, I'm sleeping in a heavy hooded sweatshirt. Saving on heating costs, but prompting whack-o dreams.

Molly said...

Love the tapas poem - congrats!

Kathleen said...

Thanks to everybody, for dropping by here and there!!

Anne Higgins said...

You must know about Julian of Norwich and her words on the hazelnut:
"I looked at the hazel nut with the eye of my understanding and thought, what can this be? I was amazed that it could last for I thought that because of its littleness it would suddenly have fallen into nothing. And I was answered in my understanding. It lasts and always will, because God loves it, and thus everything has being through the love of God"
She was a strange and amazing woman.

I went to read your blog after I saw your name mentioned on Sara Sloat's blog...and I'm so glad I did. I will return to read more!
I too am a bird lover.

Kathleen said...

Thank you, Anne! This is a lovely thing to share! I have read about Julian of Norwich but had not known (or, alas, had forgotten!) the hazelnut connection. I am glad of it!

Shannon said...

Hazelnuts and chocolate? Can I just say Perugina Baci?