Monday, September 29, 2014

My Life is Like Beautiful Perfect Apple...

I was verklempt (Yiddish for "choked up with emotion") yesterday at the end of The Language Archive, the play I directed at Heartland Theatre

I felt it coming on as tears sprang to my eyes at every poignant moment in Act II, and then I was holding back tears at the end, all too aware (from childhood on) of what could happen next: immobility from sobbing. Sigh... It was a lovely experience, and August (rehearsals) and September (performances) have whizzed by the way time does when you are immersed in goodness.

This a beautiful perfect apple by Jonathan Koch, and it makes me think of Alta in the play saying, "My life is like beautiful perfect apple..." in a marital spat scene in which she continues, "and then you are WORM who come in and eat the rotten heart--," her husband, Resten, interrupting to point out the flaw in her metaphor, "YES, exactly--ROT-TEN HEART you have--" and the hilarity continues. I'm sure lines from the play will continue to come back to me for a good while.

And it's apple time, too. And I've seen pumpkins ripe in the fields. And some poems are ripening. And by the end of the week, I'll be immersed in the next theatre experience, the annual Evergreen Cemetery Walk. I'll be entangled in another marital spat, that of Mary and Asahel Gridley. Better go outside to work on my lines in the sunshine!

5 comments:

seana graham said...

I happened to be at the Filoli Gardens yesterday, and one of the things they did was have a table full of all the different kinds of apples they produce there. A very safe estimate would be at least fifty.

But better still, they had an adjoining room which were full of trays of apples (and some pears) and everyone was encouraged to take one or two pieces of fruit. Fantastic idea.

Collagemama said...

Looking forward to Gridley spat details!

Kim said...

The Language Archive was delightful, and I look forward to the Cemetery Walk this year.

Jasmine said...

Visiting your blog after awhile. :)
Choking with emotion- immobility from sobbing, it is a beautiful moment.

Kathleen said...

Thank you, dear ones!