Monday, September 13, 2010

Morigami


Day 217 of the "What are you reading, and why?" project, and Rebecca is reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X, as told to Alex Haley, because she found it at Babbitt's a couple weeks ago and had never read it before.  She is riveted by the story of his life, glad to know of it.  (She is very young, and grows vegetables.)

Meanwhile, her friend Charley is the one who is reading Travels with Charley, by John Steinbeck, mentioned a while back, I think, when he bought it.  Since my daughter, about to read Of Mice and Men in school, mentioned Travels with Charley in passing, my brain has been folded up in many interesting (to me) ways, yes, like origami.

Speaking of origami,

1) a piece of it fell out of a book today at work, smashed flat and used as a bookmark, and

2) the beautiful origami morning glories seen here can actually be purchased at dancusa's etsy site!

Speaking of morning glories, my white ones are opening, alongside the blue!  And a giant moonflower, too!

Speaking of Malcom X, as soon as Rebecca mentioned him, I came upon him in the book I am reading, The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd, on p. 216, as the bee-tending character Zach is thinking about him.

I know, everybody else read The Secret Life of Bees in 2002, a year I was torturously busy.  But I'm glad I am reading it now, seeing how it paved the way for the phenomenal success of The Help, by Kathryn Stockett.

No comments: