Monday, December 17, 2012

To Do List

Number one, check. Number two, in progress. Fortified by more coffee. (It was on sale this morning, as was gasoline.) Number three will involve a new tire, its installation, and taking a book to the waiting room.

Or the new issue of Poetry East.

I am glad of the civic discourse that has begun (gun control, mental health) this Blue Monday, including an invitation to a conversation by our own mayor. I am avoiding the "conversations" that are still primarily rants, answered by rants; they seem to include cursing, pronouncements, and blame. Not much compassion. I'm OK with anger about this--I'm angry, too--but we can still be kind. Daily. Small, steady acts of kindness. It takes discipline and commitment, courage, relentless attention. It's hard. But good.

6 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

They put gasoline on sale where you live? Lucky you!

Yes to small, steady acts of kindness. Every single day!

Kathleen said...

On sale as in under $3.

Yes, kindness rocks!

Cathy said...

Please make bad people go away. Thank you.

Kathleen said...

That's #3. I'm lousy at it. But I keep trying.

seana graham said...

I'm very good at number one on that list, but not so great on number two.

Molly said...

That is my to-do list every day! Except tomorrow -- your post reminds me: 1. drink coffee 2. get gas! 3. rest of the stuff.

I recently subscribed to Poetry East and I have to say I love the issues I've seen so far.

Enjoy your to-do list.