Thursday, February 9, 2012

Crush on the Moon

O, the romance of the moon! O, the big old moon in the west this morning!

Coming up on Valentine's Day, you might want to read some, er, erotic poems. Love poems, yes, that awaken Eros, god of love. Here he is reviving Psyche, the human soul. (In marble, they are both the color of the moon.) And here is a bunch of erotic poems in the Valentine issue of Poetry Crush. Brace yourself. There's something for everyone here, and it's strong stuff!

Poets from Hyacinth Girl Press were asked to pick a favorite erotic poem for this issue. I picked "First Poem for You," by Kim Addonizio, a poem about tattoos. (It's a couple poems down from the tattoo photo of Kathy Acker.)  I see that I mentioned getting a Beatles tattoo in my blurb about this poem, so I refer you to it today, February 9, when the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show!

They sang some of their top hits but also "Till There Was You," a sweet love song from The Music Man. Yes! A musical comedy! Marvelous music by Meredith Willson. And Marian the Librarian was the first role I ever played in a musical. I got to sing "Till There Was You"!

7 comments:

Kim said...

I made everyone get out of bed and look at the moon in the rose-colored sky this morning! Wasn't it something?!

Sandy Longhorn said...

I love the moon! It woke me up in the middle of the night recently, so full and round and BRIGHT.

Thanks for the link to the power poems, yours included!

Kathleen said...

Oh, so beautiful the moon in the rosy sky this morning! And so bright and high last night!

Collagemama said...

I do so love "The Music Man". It's maybe my favorite musical. Missed the fab moon, though.

Kathleen said...

I feel a loving musical tribute spoof coming on!--The Music Moon!

ron hardy said...

...trouble right here in Lunatic City!

Kathleen said...

Exactly!

Which starts with L and that rhymes with Hell and that stands for Loon!