Sunday, February 26, 2012

Hugo

We got to see Hugo last night at the wonderful Normal Theatre, and it was great fun. Of course it inspired me to look up the real-life story of Georges Méliès in Wikipedia. Here he is looking remarkably like Ben Kingsley!

Looking forward to the pretty dresses, silliness, movie clips, and short speeches in the Academy Awards broadcast tonight (if I can figure out how to get the tv to work...).

And I always appreciate and tear up at pix of the honored dead.

This still, from Le Voyage dans la lune (A Trip to the Moon), by Georges Méliès, featured in Hugo, makes me wince for the moon. Tonight's sky will hold a pointy crescent moon, with Jupiter and Venus in close proximity, but it won't put your eye out.

4 comments:

Collagemama said...

I was thinking F. Murray Abraham, not Kingsley.

Kathleen said...

Oooh, yes! Him, too! I wonder if he was also up for this role?

Hannah Stephenson said...

The "In Memoriam" part makes me teary, too....

I still haven't seen Hugo, but MUST. Some very good films this year....Beginners was so sweet.

Kathleen said...

The clips made me yearn to see Beginners!