Friday, February 24, 2012

Impatiens Impatience

My indoor impatiens (brought in from outdoors) bloomed this week, making me impatient for spring, followed by summer.

Meanwhile, snow flurries by right now, with a light dusting already on the ground. But the radio says 51 on Saturday! So the earth is impatient for impatiens, too, perhaps...alas, re: global warming.

And this is Pescadero, California by Jonathan Koch, so that's a light dusting of sea, not snow, making me impatient for water and a shore. But not in the Midwest, and not as a result of 1) California breaking off into the ocean and/or 2) the melting of glaciers and icebergs. Sigh....

I love getting my news on NPR. The sad news is hard, but it's real, and we must face it. The economic news is hard, real, and annoying, but there are marvelous aural moments, like "keeping Greece afloat," which sends one global economy message via the ears and a strangely delightful rainbow of grease on a pool of rainwater in an alley by a dumpster to the inner eyes...

5 comments:

Hannah Stephenson said...

Re: impatiens/impatient...there's a poem in there somewhere, eh?

Happy weekend to you, Kathleen!

Kathleen said...

Also a vintage cartoon: "The Impatient Patient." I actually published a short story years ago called "Impatiens" in The Balcones Review. A nice memory.

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

After the cold, wet sprinkling of slush at my front door this morning and all the 'good' news you and NPR have brought to me this day, I've had to admit myself as an, 'in-patient'. (get it?)

Have a wonderful weekend, mi amiga.

Kathleen said...

I'm staying in, too, nene.

seana graham said...

I guess I won't be telling you all what the weather is like out here right now then...

Loved that bit about keeping Greece afloat.