Friday, February 3, 2012

Standing with Planned Parenthood

Generally I say what I think here, name attached, though I often stick to discuss-ions of poetry or books or life's joys and foibles, mostly avoiding politics, as there's plenty of venting about that going on without me. I own my opinions (and am annoyed by anonymous commenters all over the Internet, who don't) and place my values and concerns firmly in the context of whatever I am discussing. Often I see the complexities in a topic, not just the black and white.

Today I am seeing pink. On Facebook, for now, the arrow points at me. (Once I get Timeline, I don't know where the heck it will be pointing.) Here, it is pointing out at all the others who are standing with Planned Parenthood in the current controversy involving the Susan G. Komen for Cure foundation. Here's a summary article on the current state of affairs from the New York Times.

I am distressed by the polarization in our country right now. This is a great example of it. And of the "black and white" stance taken by so many, who, in this case, seem to have reduced it all to an abortion debate, at the same time reducing Planned Parenthood to an abortion clinic. I have to confess I lived many, many years not even knowing that abortions were one of the services provided by Planned Parenthood. I have always considered it a place I could go for information and education about contraception, family planning, sexual and reproductive health, and STDs, as needed. That I could go there, that teens could get information there (if unable to get it from parents or school), and that people of all income levels could go there. In Chicago, the nearest Planned Parenthood office to me was around the corner from a religious bookstore. They co-existed peacefully in my neighborhood.

Here is the handy pie-chart on the services Planned Parenthood provides. Here is their website for more info.

I have participated in Race for the Cure (walking) and worn pink shirts at numerous volleyball games via Volley for the Cure. I have lost friends and relatives to breast cancer, and have friends and relatives who are healthy survivors. I am grateful for all that has and can be done by Komen and other organizations to raise awareness and help fund research for treatment and cure. Like Barbara Ehrenreich, I don't think that wearing a pink ribbon and relentlessly smiling will be enough, and I will watch what happens next and think long and hard about how I will support breast cancer research in the future.

I imagine I'll keep buying and using those Fund the Fight, Find a Cure stamps at the post office. Because I actually write letters...

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

It wasn't due to my blog post, but the latest news is that SGK has reversed its decision.... I will keep watching what happens next.

Maureen said...

I join you in hoping for thoughtful perspective on this issue and considerations of how best to support in the future research on cancer, which has claimed the lives of many family members and friends over the years.

The distortions of truth about what Planned Parenthood does remain deeply disturbing to me. When politicians speak of it in error and then claim, as one did recently, that his statement was "not intended to be factual", I want to scream.

The legislature of Virginia, where I live, is busily engaged in a similar kind of politics that will do great damage to the health and welfare of girls and women, and add unnecessarily to the costs of health care.

As one who many years ago lacked health care coverage and had to seek public assistance to find a doctor when I became ill, I know what the experience is of having no where else to turn. Those who have never had that experience cannot begin to speak to what it means.

I am so delighted that more than half a million dollars has been raised in the past two days for Planned Parenthood, more than making up for what Komen withdrew. Sometimes, the 99 percenters do get to be heard, do get to hold on to their power.

Maureen said...

It was reported early this morning that the reason originally given for withholding PP support was inaccurate. Whatever the story, poor decisionmaking, inability to control message, and speaking from both sides of the mouth leave me wary of this organization.

Kathleen said...

Thank you for all this information and care, Maureen. I think the controversy, media attention, and the general outcry are helping people look closely at what goes on, in all kinds of ways.

Sandy Longhorn said...

This is so very well said, my friend. Thank you!

And I think that the reversal of the decision is because of individual voices all across the country crying foul, your voice included.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Sandy. Yes, so many spoke up, signed petitions. We do have our single voices, joined with many voices.

Andrea (Andee) Beltran said...

Excellent post, Kathleen. I am seeing pink as well. I'm happy Komen reversed its decision, but at this point, it seems like too little, too late. I'm with you on the other forms of support too. Thanks for speaking your mind and sharing a bit of your heart today.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Andee.

Hannah Stephenson said...

I'm happy to hear about the reversal, and it certainly speaks to the power of social media (how very many people spoke about this, owning their opinions, as you point out). The owned voice is a powerful thing.

Molly said...

It's so good to hear something on this topic that is not black and white, not vitriolic. I, too, am distressed by the polarization in our country and our politics, and by the desire of some to frame Planned Parenthood as an abortion-provider only. (Sidebar: really, if there's one thing on this earth that should be planned, it has to be parenthood!). Thanks for being a reasonable voice amidst all the noise. From, A Fellow Letter-Writer

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Molly and Hannah. I like that phrase "owned voice." And, oh, Molly, real letters!!