Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A New Window

In my capacity as poetry cheerleader, I draw your attention today to a new feature at Escape Into Life, which previews a new book, Neruda’s Memoirs, poems by Maureen E. Doallas.  The book is dedicated to her brother, Patrick William Doallas, lost to cancer in 2009.  At its heart, then, is a central grief but also joy, patience, and acceptance.

The beautiful cover art is by Randall David Tipton.

Like her book, Maureen’s blog, Writing Without Paper, is full of variety and attention to details, facts, and sources.  Check out her poet laureate posts, art posts, and all the ways she shares her knowledge and appreciation of art, dance, talent, culture, and beauty in the world. 

In my capacity as mystery writer, I know nothing more than I did yesterday about the muffin.

In my capacity as window washer—oh, wait!  That was J. Pierpont (“Rosemary!”) in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying 

In my capacity as wage earner, then, and to reassure any who were concerned, I started a new job yesterday that is, by nature, temporary and part time, and a perfect fit right now for all concerned.  

So all of you who said a new window would open were right! 

In my capacity as Great Books discussion leader, soon I will be reading Genesis, Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley, and Tom Outland’s Story, a novella by Willa Cather.  This is something I do every year in April, gather with people from all over the U.S. and Canada (and sometimes farther places) to talk about books and see what’s going on in Chicago!

There’s still time to register for Great Books Chicago if you want to come!

And in my capacity as Emily Dickinson collage bookmark maker, I need to get hopping and glue some figners together! And what about that book purse?!

12 comments:

Kathleen said...

The word "figners" means "fingers that have been glued together, especially middle fingers" and is also a medical condition similar to carpal tunnel syndrome that comes from math challenge and too much counting on one's fingers.

Collagemama said...

I will ponder "figners" while I watch the preschoolers excavate nasal cavaties today.

Kathleen said...

Oh, yes, an excellent glue! As is banana goo.

Kim said...

Book purse party?

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

There is no peace sign with "figners" therefore no peace but in a more positive note there is the Startrek / Spock's greeting.

Kathleen, Good luck with the new part time journey

Karen said...

Fantastic! I love new windows. Enjoy Chicago!

JulieK said...

I am eager for the book-purse party. S would like to meet my cat, so maybe we could do it at my house?

And I am in love with your New Window art. Whose is it?

Sandy Longhorn said...

Wonderful news. Your energy appears to be boundless. Inspiring!

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Sandy, for this and the beautiful collage!

Sandy Longhorn said...

Glad you liked it! :)

Roger Skarsten said...

Dear Kathleen, It's been several years since the Great Books Chicago event that you mention in this post, but do you happen to have discussion questions for "Tom Outland's Story"? I am planning to include this text in my university course on utopia/dystopia (as a supplement text to those in the Great Books Foundation volume "Imperfect Ideal"), and would be very interested in the questions that you discussed at the event in 2011.
Kind regards
Roger Skarsten

Kathleen said...

Roger, I found those questions and musings on "Tom Outland's Story," but I don't know how to reach you!

But I see in my notes that I wrote several blog entries on that Great Books weekend--on "Tom Outland's Story," Genesis, and Brave New World:

Blog rhapsodies on Cather, etc.:
Two Poor Cow-Punchers: http://kathleenkirkpoetry.blogspot.com/2011/04/two-poor-cow-punchers.html & Blue Mesa: http://kathleenkirkpoetry.blogspot.com/2011/04/blue-mesa.html
Genesis on a Thursday: http://kathleenkirkpoetry.blogspot.com/2011/03/genesis-on-thursday.html and on Brave New World: http://kathleenkirkpoetry.blogspot.com/2011/03/brave-new-world.html